#1000D Festival of Art Line Up
Charge your phone, grab the kids, put on your best selfie-face because our 2020 1000 Drawings – Festival of Art is designed for maximum creativity and fun. We’re breaking the rules with well over 1000 donated artworks and it’s no longer just one night of art. The event-now FESTIVAL – has grown exponentially over the last year so it’s difficult to find anything to compare it to. Come and see for yourself. Here are a few highlights.
Kick off on Friday 27 March through to Sunday 29 March –
Above and beyond the Art Battle and purchasing of art for charity, visitors to the eclectic Victoria Yards space can browse their art shops, galleries and most excellent coffee establishment!
As well as:
- Visiting a bespoke pop-up market with unique local craft
- On site food trucks with a global food selection. If you loved last year’s Argentinean guy or the vegan spread you’ll know what we mean, not to mention honey waffles and coconut ice cream!
- Step further into the creative zone with distilled craft beer on offer, rum cocktails and artisanal gin. By the way, before you indulge in fermented juniper berries, know that gin lovers are more likely to be psychopaths
- Bring the kids! So much better than the Spur play area, your little ones will be looked after while having supervised craft sessions in the Kidz Zone, all hosted by our beneficiary partner and champions of inner-city Jozi rejuvenation –DlalaNje
- Older kids (i.e. adults) can create their very own craft in one of the craft workshops hosted by another one of our beneficiary partners, Timbuktu in the Valley, who are doing amazing work through skills transference helping enable the future shapers of a more sustainable and equal world
- Chill-ax to the laid-back tunes of a some new hot bands as well as an up and coming unplugged guitarist in the beautiful Victoria Yards gardens which are alive with local art installations and sculptures
- Want to up your photography skills? The College of Digital Photography are holding workshops on the fundamentals of cell phone photography, Photography 101 and their professionals will be also on site to critique your photographs
- Remind yourself why living in Jozi is so special and watch local skills demonstrations including the art of origami, quilting and calligraphy
- Are you ready to make a lifelong commitment? Tattoo artists at Victoria Yards will help you seal the deal.
- Urban art in the form of live graffiti artists literally painting the town (well, a small section of it)
- Be delighted by surprising pockets of flash mobs and a choir moving and grooving
- On Saturday become immersed in divine sounds with local musicians doing their thing, including sassy, soul, roots and rhythm from What We Are, a streak of lyrical activism with Acoustic Melodies, indie musician and loop artist Indigo Girl and acoustic folk band Tokyo Kills Whale.
- Sunday vibes include Adventure Man who will make you smile and dance and soulful vocalist Lauwrinda
- .. that’s not all. Poetry slams and body paining also await.
Friday, 27 March 16h00to 20h00
We’re kicking off the 2020 Night of a 1000 Drawings Festival of Art with SA’s very first Art Battle! It’s a challenge like no other – 16 local artists will step-up to the easel and go head to head for audience votes with the hope of becoming the champion. The winner will join the SA National Tournament Series and have the chance to represent at Art Battle World Championships in October 2020.
Saturday, 28 March 10h00 to 20h00
Saturday from 11h00 will feature an eclectic sharing of a vision for the future of sustainability in fashion by talented & eco-driven designers – as well as young and upcoming design students. At 17h00 buyers can reserve their A5 art which can be collected at 18h00 (we are working to have more than 6000 original art pieces up for sale).Beneficiary partner Everybody Love Everybody will host a quiz night after the art sale.
Sunday, 29 March 10h00 to 20h00
From 10h00 to 12h00 the entrepreneurial finalists from the Makers Valley Youth Expo by East Jozi will present their small businesses and products. From 14h00 on Sunday, an impressive line-up of art by various professional artists and photographers will be auctioned by Goliath and Goliath – all with a dash of comedy. And, festival patrons will continue to enjoy the remainder of the A5 art.